Sunday, April 6, 2008

Catching up on dessert


So, I guess when you start a blog it's hard at first to remember to... blog!! Well, after 10 days I'm finally back to blogging! And this time I have some wonderful desserts that I made the past week. I am a dessert/cake/ pastry lover, if I could eat anything in the world all day, everyday it would be desserts.

As a result I end up trying different kinds and discovering new tastes. The first one I have is a rhubarb pie, that I baked after reading about rhubarb in Saveur Magazine.
It was the first time I tried rhubarb, and I loved it, sweet yet a bit tangy. My mom said it has a similar taste to a strawberry. I don't agree all that much, each fruit has it's thing! The cake itself is pretty simple to make, with a rum sause ( I used Tequila).

For cake

1 lb fresh rhubarb cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups cake flour (sifted)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/3 cup whole milk
2 large eggs (1 separated)

For sauce

1 cup cream
2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon tequila
1/2 teaspoon vanilla


Make cake

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400F. Butter a 10-inch pie plate and chill
Toss rhubarb with sugar in a bowl until coated
Whisk together flour, baking powder and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl until combined well
Blend in butter with pastry blender or fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk together milk, whole egg and yolk. Make a well in center of flour mixture and add milk mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon to gradually incorporate flour and form a soft sticky dough.
Transfer half of dough to chilled plate and pat over bottom and halfway up side with well-floured hands, then spoon rhubarb and any juices onto dough.

Using tablespoon, spoon remaining dough in small mounds evenly over top. Lightly beat egg white with a few drops water, then lightly crush cake with egg wash.

Bake cake until top crust is golden and rhubarb is tender... 30-40 minutes.

Make tequila cream

Beat cream with confectioners sugar, tequila, and vanilla in a bowl with an electric mixer until it forms stiff peaks.

serve cake warm with tequila sauce

The next recipe came to me on a trip to my local ranch market. I was cruising the food isles and out came popping on a cart full of pumpkins, butter nut squash, red corn, and small fall leaves. All its contents was on sale,( due to the fact we are in spring not fall), how could I resist? I took a couple squash home and them began to ponder what to do with them. Pumpkin pie? No. Soup? No. Bread loafs? Maybee. Gelatin desserts, yes!!! It was soft, and lighter. Everyone in my family loved them, and my dad couldn't even tell it was made with squash.

First you need to boil two small butternut or acorn squash. The method I used is to put them whole, unpeeled into my slow cooker, add about 1/4 cup water and put on low for about 3-4 hours. It's ready when you stick a fork without any effort.
Take it out, cut in half and scoop. You can then add some cinnamon, sugar, and allspice.

To make gelatins

2 cups soy milk
2 cups squash puree
1/4 cup sugar
2 envelopes grenetin (7grams each)(br)
Instructions (br)
Mix sugar with grenetin, add soy milk and let stand for 5 minutes
Heat, remove before it boils. Add the puree en put in individual molds.
Refrigerate until it firms.
Decorate with dried fruit, and condensed milk.

1 comment:

Linda said...

wow. this is amazing. i have yet to bake with rhubarb but this summer i simply must give it a go. your cake looks absolutely lovely!