Summer time, the flowing breeze, the beautiful sunshine, the Californian landscape and tangled beaches that makes us want to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible (except if you me!). So, to cater to the other 99% of people here are two easy, fast and vegan friendly dishes that you prepare in minutes and enjoy over a nice cold Margarita or just ice tea (laugh).
The first is a “California style-brushetta”
8oz boiled tomatoes, finely chopped
12oz fresh (or canned) corn kernels
4 basil leaves
½ cucumbers finely chopped
2tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper
½ loaf French bread (sliced)
(Drizzle olive oil and put in the oven for 15-20 minutes)
1. Heat a non reactive pan; add oil and a dash of sugar
Let them caramelize stirring lightly until they are brown.
2. Add the corn, tomatoes, and spices. Add some more olive oil, let simmer. Add the vinegar, stir.
3. Plate with toasted bread and enjoy!
The second dish I just made today. My tofu-broccoli salad.
1 pack of Tofu
1 head of broccoli
2 carrots (sliced diagonally)
4 slices of sourdough bread (cubed)
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3tbsp fresh dill
a dash of mustard
8 lettuces leafs
Salt and Pepper
1. Lightly oil a heavy pan, add bread let brown slightly. Set aside.
2. On a separate bowl, put tofu with chopped dill, mustard and a little oil.
3. Blanch broccoli and carrots, and then add to hot pan with oil.
4. Let them brown, until slightly tender or al dente. Add tofu and let stand for about 5 minutes, add bread stir often for another 3 minutes, remove from heat.
5. Add vinegar and water to pan, deglaze. Pour on top of tofu mixture.
6. Set 4 leafs on a round plate, then pour half the mixture, repeat.
There you go! In and Out! The healthy way!