Yes, the All-American Meal equals a hearty burger and dessert. It totally invokes nostalgia; it has become so popular now a day's that the true enjoyment of it has been lost.
Here I have decided to post my Portobello cheeseburger and my plum-peach tart.
Being a vegetarian it is hard to find a place that offers decent veggie-burgers, most chain-restaurants offer the alternative to put a frozen patty on there, or simple bring you a bun with vegetables!! That is hardly vegetarian at all.
Now, here is for everyone’s enjoyment my own "Veggie" burger.
1 loaf Challah Bread (cut into 6 pieces)
4 oz cup mayonnaise
2 oz cup soy sauce
2 tomatoes (sliced)
6 lettuce leafs
2 Portobello mushrooms (chopped)
1 medium onion (chopped)
1 bell pepper (chopped)
6 slices Provolone Cheese
1. Heat a large non-stick skillet, add oil
2. Mix the mushrooms, onion bell pepper and eggs with a wooden spoon. Mix until the mixture is pasty, add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Drop patties into skillet, let them brown 1 minute, position slice of cheese on top, let it stand another minute, them turn and let it cook about 2 more minutes.
4. Meanwhile toast the Challa bread, and mix soy sauce and mayonnaise. Spread on toasted bread.
5. When patty's are done put one on each bread, add tomatoes and lettuce, top with remaining half of bread.
You can add a salad, French fries, or potato chips. They are very filling and healthy so you can save all the calories for my plum-peach tart!
8 oz all-purpose flour
2 oz yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 oz chilled butter (chopped into small pieces)
3tsp orange juice
1 tsp all-purpose flour
1 can Plums
2 cans peaches
1. Pre-heat oven to 400F
2. Combine 8oz flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a food processor; pulse 4 times or until blended. Add butter, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. With processor on add orange juice through chute processing until blended.
3.Press mixture gently into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap, cover. Chill 15 minutes. Slightly overlapping plastic wrap.
4. Roll dough, still covered into 11-inch circle. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap place on baking sheet. Sprinkle dough with 1 tsp flour.
5. Let plums dry on towel paper, repeat if necessary. Then cut into slices, and arrange alternating peach and plum.
6.Fold edges of dough into center pressing gently to seal. Bake at 400F for 25 minutes or until crust is brown.