Saturday, September 13, 2008

Asian Inspired

I love Asian food, love it, love it, and love it. Any kind of Asian food, from Chinese take-out, to Japanese rolls, to Korean kim-chi.
However, I don’t really like the fat that comes associated with all that fried food!!
And so, as I stood inspired in my tiny 4 x 4 kitchen the other day, opened my fridge and saw sitting there lonely and forgotten on the bottom shelf, a bag of wheat germ sprouts.
I looked to the left and saw soy sauce, I looked to the right and saw Portebello mushrooms, (my mouth began to water) and then I saw some barbecue sauce. Needless to say we were having sprouts for dinner!!
The recipe is very simple, the presentation is easy to get but the result are awesome. And they can be used as snacks, appetizers, or with some salad do a main entrée.

Asian Influenced

Sprouts

Ingredients:
1 pound sprouts
2 Portobello mushrooms, (diced)
¼ cup soy sauce
2-3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
1tsp dried thyme
½ tsp cinnamon
Salt and pepper
3-4 flour tortillas
4tsp cottage cheese

Procedure:
1. Add some olive oil to a hot wok, then slowly add the sprouts, and mushrooms, and half the soy sauce.
2. Let them sizzle for about 3 minutes, stirring.
3. Then add the rest of soy sauce, barbecue sauce and the spices. Then let them sauté for about 5 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone, and they mushrooms look lightly browned.
4. Meanwhile, grab ¼ cup olive oil and some salt and garlic, set aside. With a large cookie cutter cut shapes from the flour tortillas. Brush with the olive oil mix and toast in the oven or convection over for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
5. Then with a fork put some sprouts on each tortilla and top with cottage cheese.

And now let me sound like a television cooking show. These are tasty and delicious and easy to make!!

No comments: